There’s a bra that costs $10 million, and other things we learned from the Victoria’s Secret show
This week the Victoria’s Secret runway show took place in New York City. This lingerie touting spectacle, launched in 1995, has become of one of the fashion year’s landmark occasions.
This year, lead Angels Doutzen Kroes, Candice Swanepoel and Alessandra Ambrosio spread their wings, converted us to the power of hair extensions and almost – almost – put me off my caramel cookies for a moment. It may not officially air until next month, but here’s what we’ve learned from 2013’s exhibition of less-is-more.
- Taylor Swift has got great legs – now we know why she’s pictured going to Pilates every day, the poor girl had to hold her own against arguably the most honed and toned models in the business.
- …but VS model Jessica Hart (who our Katie once interviewed) didn’t think so, saying afterwards ‘she didn’t fit’ and ‘couldn’t pull it off’. Ouch, not so angelic. Hart has since retracted her comments, but hey, there are at least a couple of songs in that for Taylor.
- A good walk is really the bread and butter of looking great on the catwalk – look to Amazonian Karlie Kloss for a masterclass. It sure does help having legs literally longer than me, mind you.
- VS models get into training around three months before the show. And folks, that’s their job. Don’t feel bad – that’s all they do with their days. Just work out. Feel better? Good.
- But in case you’re inspired to tone up a smidge, the favoured VS workouts are: boxing (Adriana Lima), yoga (Miranda Kerr), hiking (Erin Heatherton). Or eating a takeaway the night before, if you’re controversial VS-er Cara Delevingne. Watch this video for a bit of instruction.
- Of course, they’re not just models or partial clothes horses, but bonafide celebrity WAGs too, with Lily Aldridge married to Kings of Leon frontman Caleb Followill, Behati Prinsloo engaged to serial ‘modeliser’ Adam Levine of Maroon 5, and Doutzen Kroes married to DJ Sunnery James.
- This year’s Fantasy Bra was worn by Candice Swanepoel; it was worth $10 million, and she was flanked by multiple security guards throughout the show.
- Half of the eight official angels of this year’s line-up have children under four…great work ladies, but for everyone else, please refer to point 4.
- Alongside Taylor Swift performing at this year’s show were Fall Out Boy and Neon Jungle. They join past acts such as Rihanna, Kanye West and Jay Z, The Spice Girls, Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake and er, Phil Collins.
- It airs on 10th December on CBS in the US, but YouTube’s pretty quick off the mark too. If you can’t wait until then though, last year’s extravaganza (and all the other years) is online now. Brace yourself – there’s a lot of kiss-blowing coming your way.